As the Principal of St Robert’s, I am in a privileged position of leading an established, thriving community.
Our school is rich in history, we opened our school gate in 1942 and since then have continued to provide consistent Catholic Education for Catholic families.
We are an inclusive community of 361 students and 224 families.
Our classrooms engage students in deep learning, they encircle our students with care and support the growth of the whole child. Students have the opportunity to develop their spiritual connection to Jesus through prayer, school-based liturgy, and school masses.
We actively welcome our families in a learning partnership and elevate our staff to be leaders of current research. Our leadership team works with and for our community daily. The leadership team encourages open communication to address needs as they arise from the staff and our families.
St Robert’s P & F works in an active partnership to create a rich classroom environment by providing extra resources for student learning. The school advisory board is supportive of a strategic approach to school improvement, maintaining and improving our yard annually, as well as our practices that are supported by intentional policies.
We support a diverse range of learning needs across our 15 classrooms. We are able to do this through the support of our experienced Wellbeing team.
We also offer a range of outstanding extracurricular activities and our yard space allows students to engage in purposeful play.
We endeavor, to create a space where your child is known and valued, where your family is welcomed and encircled with support as part of the St Robert’s, Newtown community.
When children are enrolled at St Robert's they are placed into one of four House Teams –
MERCY (BLUE) MCKILLOP (GOLD) LOURDES (RED) CARMEL (GREEN)
Special Feast days for each of these teams are celebrated on or about the date of the Patron’s Feast Day. On this day, students in the celebrating House Team may wear a clothing item in their team colour, share fruit platters at snack time and have a little extra playtime outside.
Children can earn points for their House by participating in School House Sporting activities and also for displaying good behaviour in their classrooms and Specialist subjects.
School first commenced in June 1942 in a building facing Nicholas Street, consisting of one classroom, an entrance hall, and a cloakroom. The preparatory class, as well as Grades 1 and 2, worked in this classroom under the supervision of the late Mrs. Margaret Sylvester.
In 1943, the Sisters of Mercy came to St Robert’s for the first time and Sr Roberta Rainsford took charge. The school then catered for girls and boys from Preparatory Class to Grade 8. As time passed, the school terminated at Grade 6 and pupils went to local Catholic secondary schools for Grade 7. The Sisters of Mercy ended their association with the school in 1977 and Mrs. Noelene Colwill accepted the appointment of the first Lay Principal.
During 1992 the building was extended to provide two additional classrooms and expand the administrative and staff quarters. In September 2006, works included five new classrooms and the refurbishment of existing classrooms, including the addition of terrace areas to the classrooms along the eastern side of the school and the relocation and upgrade of the school administration area. In 2009, the grounds were further developed to provide exclusive junior, middle and senior adventure playground areas.
The Church building has undergone many transformations over the years and its current form was completed in 2010. It now accommodates a multi-purpose area doubling as the School Chapel and Assembly area, an Open Learning Space, ICT room, Kitchen and Art facility, Reading Recovery room and Music room.
In 2013 - 2014 the school again embarked on another Capital works program creating additional learning spaces, a new staffroom, and a teacher’s workroom. As well as this, major improvement works to the children’s play and recreation areas were carried out.
St Robert's School Shield and Motto
The Latin words “Sic Currite Ut Comprehendatis” translated into English means “so run that you will obtain the prize (or honor).” The ‘prize’ being the knowledge that one has achieved the best and most honorable result in a manner in which Christ taught us. (This message was given by St Paul when writing to the Corinthians). The translation in the context of our school would be “striving to obtain our prize, that prize being the knowledge that as students, staff, and parents we have done all we can do, to be the best we can be, as individuals and as valued and respected contributors to our community within the context of Christ’s teachings.
St Robert of Newminster, our patron Saint
St Robert of Newminster was born in Yorkshire, England and took his name from Newminster Abbey where he lived until his death on 7th June 1159. He studied at the University of Paris, became a priest and returned to his hometown of Gargrave as Parish Priest. He later became a Benedictine at Whitby and joined a band of monks at St Mary’s Abbey in York. St Robert is described as a devoted, prayerful, kind and gentleman. He showed great mercy to others and was very zealous towards his own vows of poverty and would give his meals to the poor. St Robert’s relics are located in the church of Newminster and miracles have been reported at his tomb. His image is often depicted as an abbot holding a church. Our school, St Robert's, is named in honour of him.